Located just north of the bustling urban areas of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, Roxboro boasts lush rural scenery, a mild climate and small-town hospitality. Nestled among gently rolling hills perfectly dotted with forests and farms, its residents enjoy a gentler pace with ready access to a progressive school system, favorable tax rates, quality healthcare and myriad recreational activities.
Roxboro, with a population of 9,000, is the largest town and the county seat of Person County, which has a population of more than 39,000. The community’s size encourages small-town hospitality and a gentler pace – both founded in progressive goals and an intense community spirit.
Roxboro residents enjoy a mild climate (average temp. of 60 degrees) and many, diverse housing options. From century-old estates and mini-farms to new, contemporary neighborhoods and luxurious lake homes, Roxboro real estate is available in many price ranges and has diversity in size, location and amenities.
Similarly, Roxboro and Person County offer a variety of educational opportunities for students and life-long learners. The community has one public school system, two charter schools, multiple private schools, and a community college. In addition, Roxboro/Person County is home to more than three dozen civic organizations, including Lions Club, Kiwanis Club, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Habitat for Humanity and the Person County Historic Society.
Recreational activities are high on the list of favorite things to do in Person County. Among the many offerings are:
- Kirby Theater for performing arts
- Kirby Gallery for visual arts
- Mayo Lake for fishing, hiking, camping and cycling
- Hyco Lake for self-guided, paved walking trails and picnic areas
- Rock of Ages Winery & Vineyard for wine tastings, tours, special events and concerts
- Roxboro Country Club Golf Course
- Person County Museum, including several on-site historical sites
- Roxboro Motorsports Dragway, an IHRA-sanctioned, 1/8 mile concrete drag strip – host to car, truck and bike festivals
- Rock Sportsplex, a miniature golf, baseball and driving range complex.